It's very hard for me to focus when it comes to writing. This is how my process has been for nearly seven years now:
- Phase 1: 100% focus is on my novel
- Phase 2: Suddenly my mind wanders as I struggle to maintain that focus
- Phase 3: Writer's block hits me like a ton of bricks
- Phase 4: I still attempt to write, but pages become paragraphs....then sentences to only a few words
- Phase 5: During this phase, I start opening up the document of the chapter and stare blankly at it, unable to think of anything to type
- Phase 6: I decide to stop working on the novel to focus on a different novel
- Phase 7: Months later I return to the novel with a burst of inspiration
- Phase 8: I slowly start working on it, sentence by sentence, but then...I become stuck again
- Phase 9: Then I decide to revise the entire story and change the plot completely
And that would explain why I have over 30+ unfinished novels...
This has been my process for years now. I have only managed to complete two stories, one 90k word novel and another short story, which was Nightmare Chronicles. Seven years of writing and only two stories completed, and like seven (or less) half completed novels...
I truly dislike the way I am with writing. The procrastinator within me always manages to find the light and escape. My passion is there, but I suppose I am not putting in enough effort to truly be where I want to be when it comes to pursuing this as a career.
In my last entry I mentioned how I was focusing on Atticus and how difficult it is to write. The story is truly something different, but because I placed it on such a different level, it is hard to come up with scenes for the chapters. After doing a lot of thinking for the past couple of hours, I have come up with a decision and hopefully I will stick with it. I don't want another year to go by with me hyping up another story, that will probably never be completed. If you have been following this blog before the deleted blog posts from years ago, then you should know that I have mentioned a few novels and none of which are currently being worked on now. Out of every story I have mentioned, Bandit is probably the only one that I would truly revise one day. However, for now I have already decided what I will do.
My goal is to complete either Atticus or Hell Hounds before the end of this year, and it is a goal that I will make happen!